General Electric Washer Division
The General Electric Washer Division is a large factory on Curry Pike for the manufacture of washing machines for the General Electric company. The plant opened in 1967, in a building that originally held the Franklin Manufacturing company.
At one time employing more than 1000 people, the company employed about 360 people in 2013.
In 2008, the parent company planned to close the plant entirely before getting some tax credits for producing energy-efficient appliances.
In 2010, workers agreed to a wage freeze in exchange for additional investment in the plant, but the money never materialized.