|Years:||1836 1837 1838 – 1839 – 1840 1841 1842|
Significant events from 1839.
- Ellis E. Sluss opens a tailor shop on the north side of The Square, in a shop previously occupied by Harrod Hunter.
William J. Flurry moves his tailor shop to the room formerly occupied by C. Mershon as a coffee house.
- R. F. Jennings takes over the saddlery of Thomas Ryan, located three doors south of William Alexander's store.
- J.T. Rogers advertises the former Taylor and Abrams Pottery Shop, for sale or rent.
- Dr. David H. Maxwell resumes his practice, with his son James D. Maxwell.
- M. A. McNemar opens a saddlery on the south side of The Square, in an upper room of the Bloomington Hall.
- Someone forges a resignation letter from postmaster Abraham Buskirk. Buskirk writes to the Postmaster General denying his resignation and is reinstated in August.
- David D. Lindsey offered his property on the east side of The Square for sale. John Hight had been running a tavern and boarding house there.
- The property of the late Henry Baker is put up for sale. It was located in Section 19, T7N, R2W, within two miles of Ross's Iron Works on Indian Creek.
- Samuel Hardesty and William M. Smith's shingle machine goes into full operation. They advertise that the shingles are "superior in every respect to those made in the ordinary way and cost much less."
- Amos Amsden and John F. Johnston dissolve their wheat fan business in Ellettsville.
- Zachariah Williams passes away. He had been the owner of several dozen acres of property, and two very modern steam-powered mills, a saw mill and a grist mill, located one mile from the The Square.
The post office is moved to the room recently occupied by S. D. Chipman as a hat shop, opposite the Orchard's Inn.