County Female Seminary
Growing out of a Female Instititute that had existed as long as the county had, the County Female Seminary was established in its own right in 1835 under the leadership of Cornelius Pering. A two-story brick building was erected and Prof. Pering continued to lead the seminary until roughly 1849, when Mrs. E.J. McFerson succeeded him. In 1855 government funding for the seminary was ended and students were required to pay tuition. In 1863 the new High School was established, and the seminary soon ended lessons. The building was later used as a dwelling.