The Independent Whig was founded on January 1, 1829 or 1830 by W. D. McCollough & Company. It was a five-column newspaper with an annual cost of two dollars. Its motto was "Measures, Not Men." The newspaper went out of business in 1831.
The paper is believed to be the second newspaper started in Monroe County. The first newspaper was the Bloomington Republican, founded in 1826.
Bowen, B.F.. History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties, Indiana (Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen & Co., Inc., 1914) 300-301.