Thrift Stores / Resale Shops
Thrift stores & Resale Shops are possibly the cheapest way of acquiring things. They are always recycling materials, instead of importing them from China. They are often related to community organizations where the money generated benefits a good cause. Some are resale / second-hand shops which are commercial ventures that don't benefit any cause, but are still affordable and environmentally benign. Pawn Shops serve some of the same niche, but tend to have items that are individually more valuable and exist to lend money rather than reuse goods or generate income for good causes.
Most or all of these places are also looking for donations (thrift) or to buy used items (resale / consignment). Often, donations are only taken during certain hours, less than the overall time the store is open.
Donations to these stores are usually tax deductible In Bloomington:
- St. Vincent de Paul -- Furniture and Appliances to people in need. (812) 961-1510 firstname.lastname@example.org for free pick up.
- Opportunity House -- serving Monroe County United Ministries local charity
- Bloomington Thrift Shop -- downtown
- Salvation Army -- downtown
- Goodwill East store -- 840 Auto Mall Road; open later than most thrift stores.
- Goodwill West store -- 1284 Liberty Blvd; open later than most thrift stores.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore for building materials, appliances, furniture and household supplies
- My Sister's Closet of Monroe County -- Not for Public Sale - gives used business wear to needy job applicants. Needs donations.
Outside of Bloomington:
- Richland-Bean Blossom Family Thrift -- Ellettsville
- Goodwill -- Martinsville
- Saint Vincent de Paul -- Bedford
- Goodwill -- Bedford
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Martinsville (much like Habitat local but can be used when the local store has enough of an item or is out of something you want).
Resale Shops (private business)
- Plato's Closet
- Once Upon a Child
- Double Blessings Consignment Shop-- Eagles Landing Mall in Ellettsville.
- Indiana University Surplus Store -- the University's store for selling used excess property, esp. computers and furniture.