|Years:||1937 1938 1939 – 1940 – 1941 1942 1943|
Significant events from 1940.
- ?? - IU Men's Basketball wins the national championship
- 10th - Richard Reed, an Indiana University student, falls over a cliff at McCormick's Creek State Park, and dies.
- 20th - Erle Showers, the last surviving male of the Showers line, passes away.
- Pete Athens opens a Grille and Ice Cream Parlor at 346 S. Walnut Street.
- A brick storage house of the Bloomington Feed Company is destroyed by fire. Located at the west edge of the Monon on Morton Street just south of 6th Street, the building had been condemned and losses were minimal. Originally a flour mill built by Andrew Helton in the 1860's, it had also served as the Monroe Mill, the Lyons Motor Sales headquarters, and other uses. Charles Records had bought the building from Bert Curry two years earlier.
- Construction on Swain Hall West is completed