Evangelical Community Church
|Address:||503 South High Street|
|Services:||Sunday, 9:30 a.m.|
Sunday, 11:00 a.m.
A cross-denominational church dedicated to "redeeming grace and transforming truth of Jesus Christ". ECC is a large church with an extensive children's Sunday School program and a well-recognized choir. The senior pastor is Robert Whitaker.
The church was formed in 1976 by Pastor David Faris with 200 members. The first service was held in the gymnasium of University School.
In 1979 a building was constructed at the corner of 2nd Street and High Street, on the former Ralph Rogers Farm. By 1988 the congregation had grown to two services and 1600 attendees, and had built an annex and addition at a cost of nearly $200,000.
Additional expansion was begun in 2003, with a design created by Entheos Architects of Indianapolis. It included a 650-seat auditorium, a large gathering space, a new church library, additional classrooms and a commercial kitchen.