Come hangout with other Bloomingpedia enthusiasts on Saturday October 16th, 2021 at 8pm Eastern. Register here.

Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.

First Presbyterian Church

From Bloomingpedia
First Presbyterian Church
Church Faith: Presbyterian
Open Date: September 25, 1819
Address: 221 E. 6th Street

Bloomington, IN 47401

Phone: (812) 332-1514
Services: Sunday, 10:30 a.m.
Website: http://www.fpcbloomington.org
FirstPresbyterian.jpg

The First Presbyterian Church located at 221 E. 6th Street is one of the first churches in Bloomington and possibly Southern Indiana. The church was founded on September 25, 1819 and resides in the oldest church building in Bloomington.

In 1829, after ten years of worshiping, the church moved into its first heated church building at the corner of Washington Street and 4th Street. Just over thirty years later, the church women's Sewing Society raised $7,000 towards a new building, and the rapidly growing congregation purchased a lot on Walnut Street where the Knights of Pythias Building now stands. A new, two-story brick church was soon erected.

The membership was then close to 200, a number soon boosted by reunification with the Second Presbyterian Church. The reunited church called itself the "Walnut Street Presbyterian Church."

The church suffered a fire in the 1880s, and in 1899 burned to the ground as a result of embers from a nearby meat market that also burned down. The cornerstone for the new and still current building was laid on July 9, 1900. The building was dedicated on June 23, 1901. Total cost of construction was $27,094.34.

This church helped start Indiana University.

Events

External Links