Lemon Lane Landfill
The original landfill area covered approximately 10 acres. Lemon Lane road and a residential area along Lemon Lane bound the east side of the landfill. The CSX Railroad tracks border the southern edge of Lemon Lane Landfill. Directly south of the railroad tracks is Valhalla Memory Gardens. Two privately owned parcels of residential property bound the landfill on the north. Viacom owns the undeveloped land to the west of the landfill. SR 37 is approximately 900 feet northwest of the landfill entrance. The Griffin property borders the southern portion of the east fence line of Lemon Lane Landfill.
The landfill began operation as a refuse dump in 1933. The City of Bloomington operated the landfill from 1950 to 1964 as a municipal waste landfill. It was also used as a repository for industrial debris and waste. Electrical capacitors from Westinghouse were deposited in Lemon Lane Landfill from 1958 to 1964 by contracted local waste haulers; these capacitors were filled with PCBs and, when broken, would contaminate the area.