Maple Heights is one of the oldest neighborhoods of Bloomington. The Maple Heights neighborhood association covers the area bordered by College Avenue on the east, 17th Street on the north, 11th Street on the south, and Maple Street on the west. The architecture of Maple Heights is predominately made up of late Victorian cottages and houses.
Most of the land was originally purchased by James Blair in 1825, and Blairs lived in the neighborhood until at least the 1970's. James' son John Blair inherited the 160-acre farm and was active in the Underground Railroad. John Blair built Blair House on Maple Street in the mid-1800s, a frame building now hidden behind a brick porch of later construction.
The city annexed Maple Heights around 1890.