May 25th, 2011 Thunderstorms
A series of thunderstorms went through Bloomington after 2pm on May 25th, 2011. A confirmed tornado touched down in Bedford. Winds gusted to 70 mph. Several reports of golfball and even baseball sized hail.
- On TV and on Twitter there were reports of injuries and "mass casualties" on the west side of Bloomington. This was apparently a rumor broadcast on TV.
- Some confirmed injuries. No deaths reported.
- Reports of a semi trailer overturning in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
- Mobile home moved from its foundation (HT Tweet) on west side near SR 45 at the 6000 block between Ison Road and Leonard Springs Road
- Gas pipeline damaged near the 4900 block of west SR 45.
- Apartments at Oakdale Square damaged roof.
- Many uprooted trees and snapped tree around campus around town and especially on the southwest side along SR 45.
- The roof of Sam's Club was severely damaged and will be closed for the next few days.
- The power at Wal-Mart was off all day on the 26th and remains closed.
- Several large trees at Seminary Square Park have been uprooted or damaged.