William Lowe Bryan
Born William Julian Bryan in Monroe County to John and Eliza Bryan, he entered IU in 1877, where he lettered in baseball and worked on the Indiana Daily Student. He received a Bachelor's degree in 1884 and a Master's in 1886. He also studied at the University of Berlin and Clark University, whence he received a Ph.D. in psychology in 1892. In 1889 he had married the former Charlotte Lowe, and replaced his middle name with his wife's maiden name.
In 1902 he was named president of the University. Under his guidance many new schools were established, including the business and music schools, and the university grew from less than 1500 students to more than 7,000.
After retirement, Bryan continued to reside in the President's house on campus, until his death. It is now known as Bryan House.
He is a charter member of the Monroe County Hall of Fame. The description on his plaque reads "Indiana University President, 1902-1937, Professor, 1884-1902, Director, Carnegie Foundation for Advancement of Teaching 1910-1937, Author."