|Years:||1882 1883 1884 – 1885 – 1886 1887 1888|
Significant events from 1885.
- 4th - Lewis Fedder, a night watchman at the Ryers factory, is robbed and murdered.
- C.P. Tourner's clothing store is closed by the sheriff in satisfaction of several judgments
- The Hotel Gentry opens, along with Nugent’s drug store in the same building
- Cox Bros. open a shoe store,
- Blount Campbell opens a meat shop,
- The law firm of Wilson & Henley opens
- Helton Pauley opens a jewelry store
- The Walnut Street Hotel burns
- Crutcher the grocer closes
- the Acorn restaurant closes,
- Al Hays buys out the Davis tin shop
- Lee Dove & Co. move
- Dr. Whitted, the dentist moves
- Mrs. Bowman’s millinery moves to Indianapolis
- The Knights of Pythias move to their new hall and their old hall is occupied by the Oolite Club.