Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
|Years:||1913 1914 1915 – 1916 – 1917 1918 1919|
Significant events from 1916.
The Jones and Pleasants Millinery building on north College Avenue is demolished. The building had formerly stood on the site then occupied by Campbell & Company, and Asher Labertew had opened one of the first stores in Bloomington in a room in it, with another room occupied by a bank which was later to become the First National Bank. The building on its original site was purchased by J. Smith Hunter in the 1850's, who used it as a residence. In 1893, Mr. Hunter's widow sold the property to Capt. W. J. Allen, who tore the building down, using the bricks to create a new commercial building. The frame was moved to the North College location by Mrs. Jack Nichols
The Bloomington Motor Company is incorporated by William Graham, Charles Small, and Hays Buskirk. Graham had been involved with the Hill-Graham Garage on south College Avenue, and that was left in the hands of Nat U. Hill, Allen Buskirk, and George Royer.