The Central School was Bloomington's first school larger than one room. It opened in 1875 and continued at least until 1930. Free to all students from primary through high school, classes were held in a stately three-story building at 328 South College Avenue. It was on the west side of College Avenue between 3rd Street and Smith Avenue. Today the parking lot of the Courtyard Marriott is in that location.
The school was demolished by the City of Bloomington to create parking for downtown businesses.