Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
First Christian Church
|Address:||? Kirkwood Avenue|
|Services:||Sunday, ? a.m.|
The First Christian Church is one of Bloomington's oldest churches, as can be seen by its large limestone building on Kirkwood Avenue. The church traces its history back to 1820, and in 1826 bought the first land for a church.
The original church building was a simple log building, which lasted about 15 years and was then replaced by a more permanent structure. In 1884, the current property on Kirkwood was purchased, and the red brick Kirkwood Avenue Christian Church was built.
In 1916 that building burned to the ground. It was replaced with the current Limestone structure at a cost of around $60,000. The Chicago firm of Lowe & Bollenbacher, including partner Carlisle Bollenbacher, designed the new building.