Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
Herman B Wells
Herman is a charter member of the Monroe County Hall of Fame and the only charter member who was living at the time it was established. His plaque reads "Herman B Wells, 1902 - Indiana University President, 1937 - 1962, Chancellor, 1962 - , IU Foundation President, 1962-1969; International Educational Advisor; United Nations Delegate 1957; Recipient over 25 honorary degrees."
- Herman Wells did not have a middle name. When he first enrolled at IU, a middle name was required, so he used the letter B, with no period, in tribute to a tradition in his mother's family, which had middle names beginning with B.
- As an undergraduate, he was a Sigma Nu.
- A sculpture of his likeness, sitting on a park bench, is near Wylie Hall.
- He purchased his house on 10th Street in 1962, and willed it back to the university at his death.
- He was honored as a Sagamore Of The Wabash six times