Margaret McCalla Elementary School
The Margaret McCalla Elementary School building occupies the block between Indiana Avenue and Dunn Street between Ninth and Tenth streets. The original two-story building was designed by Nichols & Son, with a two story brick addition by Alfred Grindle in 1928. Another single story limestone addition was made around 1955 and comprised a large kindergarten classroom, restrooms, and a multi-purpose room that served as auditorium, gymnasium, and (with the adjoining kitchen) cafeteria.
A brick Classical Revival structure in style, the building has cantilevered rounded bays of windows facing 9th Street. The entrance portico has full classical entablature and a multilight transom. Like the Fairview Elementary addition, the McCalla addition has brick buttresses with limestone capstones.
The school was named for Margaret Hemphill McCalla.
It was decommissioned by the Monroe County Community School Corporation in spring 1973. It served as an alternative high school during the 1974-1977 school years. It is now used by Indiana University's Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts for the teaching of sculpture classes.
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="39.171041" lon="-86.52765" zoom="18" width="400"> </googlemap>