Seminary Square is the 11-acre campus originally used for the first 60 years of Indiana University's history. In 1820, this land was used for the State Seminary, which became Indiana college in 1828, and later Indiana University in 1838.
Over time, the school built seven buildings on the site. However, on on April 12, 1854, a fire destroyed the library building. On July 12, 1883, another fire destroyed the Science Building.
On September 28, 1883, Trustees voted to move the campus to the 20-acre site known as Dunn's Woods, because of the fire issue and because of future concerns about expansion.
Today, the area is bounded by 1st Street, 2nd Street, Morton Street, and Walnut Street, and includes Seminary Square Park.