Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
|Open Date:||October 1957|
|Address:||122 E Kirkwood Ave|
|Current Owner(s):||Dana Reynolds & Stewart Coe|
|Hours:||til 3 everyday|
Ladyman's Cafe was a small restaurant that opened at 122 E. Kirkwood Avenue in 1957. The restaurant was known for its simple, home-cooked meals and fresh-baked pies.
The restaurant was originally opened by Tom Ladyman, who has worked there throughout its existence. His sons Mike and Ted have also helped administer the restaurant during the 80s and 90s. The second dining room was added in 1968. In 2002, Ladyman sold the restaurant to longtime waitress Dana Reynolds, and Stewart Coe. He remained working in the restaurant as a cook after it sold, alongside cook Jack Covert, who has also been working in the restaurant since it opened.
On May 5, 2006, a fire was set in a dumpster near the cafe and it spread to the seating area. It was suspected that it was caused by an arsonist. The business closed for 2 weeks and damages were estimated at $25,000.
The restaurant announced it would close after Heartland Development Group announced that they would be building a new parking garage and office building where Ladyman's and other surrounding businesses are located. Another developer involved, Finelight, abandoned their development plans for the buildings after they claimed the city was not forthcoming enough in their plans to develop additional parking and fund the development of a new garage nearby.
Leading up to the restaurant's closing, there were several articles in local papers covering the history of the restaurant and indicating that it would be closing on Sunday December 10th, 2006. On Saturday and Sunday of its closing weekend, the restaurant was almost always packed and on Saturday alone they had more than 300 customers. On Sunday there was talk of a petition going around to try to save the restaurant.
- Fried Chicken Giblets with Cream Gravy .85
- Roast Sirloin of Beef with Brown Gravy .95
- Home Made Ham Loaf with Mustard Sauce .85
- Roast Pork with Brown Gravy .95
- Oven Browned Beef Hash .75
- Home Made Bean Soup .25
- Home Made Pie .15
- Pie A*La*Mode .20
- Vegetable Plate (Choice of Three) .60
- Fresh Strawberry Tarts With Whipped Cream .30
- December 10th 2006 - Ladyman's last day open. The restaurant was packed with people up until the end.
- December 9th 2006 - The day before closing, they have a packed house with over 300 customers that day.
- May 4th 2006 - Ladyman's closes, temporarily, after a fire from a nearby dumpster spreads to the restaurant. Arson is suspected.
- January 2002 - Ladyman's ownership is transferred from Ted Ladyman to Stewart Coe and longtime waitress Dana Reynolds.
- Ladyman's to reopen Tuesday - Hoosiertimes.com, May 20, 2006
- Ladyman's building sold; fate of longtime cafe uncertain - Hoosiertimes.com, June 21, 2006
- The end for Ladyman’s? - Hoosiertimes.com, June 22, 2006
- Still room for Ladyman's Cafe? - Hoosiertimes.com, June 23, 2006
- Customers keep dining at downtown cafe - Hoosiertimes.com, July 19, 1988