Maxwell Hall is home to the University Division advisors, the General Studies Degree Program, and several other programs that Indiana University offers.
Maxwell Hall was designed by George W. Bunting in Richardsonian Romanesque style and constructed in 1890. It was dedicated onJanuary 20th, 1891. Originally named Library Hall, it was renamed Maxwell Hall in 1894 to honor Dr. David H. Maxwell.
Mitchell Hall was originally named Maxwell Hall, until Library Hall was renamed, at which time it was also renamed.