This page lists people, real and fictional, who have lived in Bloomington at some point in their lives. Some are born here, some only attended Indiana University others may have just been passing through and left a mark.
- Kenny Aronoff - Drummer for John Mellencamp, alumus of the Jacobs School of Music
- Michael Badnarik - 2004 Presidential Election nominee
- Evan Bayh - Indiana Governor and US Senator, alumnus Kelley School of Business
- Joshua Bell, violinist, alumus of the Jacobs School of Music
- Meg Cabot, author of the book The Princess Diaries that was made into a film in 2001.
- Hoagy Carmichael, American composer, pianist, singer, actor, and bandleader
- Michael Chaney, computer programmer who embarrassed Microsoft by paying the $35 renewal fee for their passport.com domain back in 1999.
- Suzanne Collins, author of the book trilogy The Hunger Games. Received BA at Indiana University in 1985]]
- Ward Cunningham, Creator of the first wiki.
- Jared Fogle, spokesman for Subway restaurants
- Mick Foley, famed hardcore pro-wrestling superstar currently wrestling for WWE on the RAW promotion
- Douglas Hofstadter, Pulitzer Prize winning author of the book Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid
- James Franklin Hyneman, Co-star of Discovery Channel's hit show Mythbusters.
- Michael D Higgins, President of Ireland since 2011.
- Jared Jeffries, basketball player for the Washington Wizards and now the New York Knicks
- Jim Jones, Peoples Temple founder and cult leader
- Scott A. Jones, Inventor of voicemail
- Alfred Kinsey, founder of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction
- Kevin Kline, film and stage actor, alumnus of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Bobby Knight, hall of fame basketball coach
- John Mellencamp, singer, songwriter
- Jane Pauley, national journalist, alumna of the School of Journalism
- Ernie Pyle, combat journalist during WW II, Ernie Pyle Hall is the home of IU's School of Journalism
- Ian C. Rogers, music streaming software engineer and digital music executive.
- David Lee Roth, American musician, singer for Van Halen.
- Carl Sagan, American astronomer and popularizer of science. Lived in Bloomington for a summer in the 1950s to work with H. J. Muller.
- Mark Spitz, olympic gold medal swimmer and world record holder
- John T. Thompson, inventor of the "Tommy Gun".
- Jeri Taylor, television scriptwriter and producer
- William T. Vollmann, writer and journalist
- Jimbo Wales, Wikipedia founder
- James D. Watson, co-discoverer of DNA structure, author of The Double Helix, winner of the 1962 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- David Wolf - astronaut, Space Shuttle, Mir, and ISS crewmember
- Kathryn Janeway, Captain in TV series Star Trek: Voyager, born and raised in the 24th Century
- Jeff Foxworthy, even though Jeff Foxworthy is a real person, in his TV show, he lived in Bloomington.
- Lilith, a demon in TV series "Supernatural" possessed the body of a dental hygienist from Bloomington in the episode "The Monster at the End of this Book" which first aired April 2, 2009.