|Years:||1925 1926 1927 – 1928 – 1929 1930 1931|
Significant events from 1928.
- 13th - Ellis Medlock, a bootlegger from Kirksville, is attacked and murdered as he is delivering product.
- The Tourner Hotel is renovated. The owner, Preston C. Gilliatt, was about to build the Graham Hotel as well, and moved the Penrod Drug Store and a millinery shop out of the existing building.
- The $100,000 Ritz Theater on East Kirkwood Avenue opens.
- 30th - Harley Johnson is fatally injured when a stick of dynamite he is holding explodes.
- Work starts on the $100,000 armory to be erected on the George Randall lot on south Lincoln Street, across from Third Street Park. The building would be a three story structure of brick and stone.
- Orval Wires is shot and killed by an unknown assailant at his own front door. Wires is involved with illegal poker games, but the reason for the shooting is unknown. Wires lived on the farm of Philip Hill, three miles north of town.
- The Bloomington Municipal Golf Course opens at Upper Cascades Park.
- 19th - George Hacker, Thomas Hacker, James Holt, and Kenneth Deckard, employees at Indiana University, are killed by a lightning strike near the dam of University Lake.
- The Wayport and Carlton school buildings are condemned. They were already planned to be closed before the school year began. The Washington Township Consolidated School, located near present-day SR 37 and Crossover Road, was to replace them, along with Center School and three other schools.
- Improvements are made to the Smithville High School, including water fountains and several improvements to the gym.
- Howard Demming stabs Edward Deckard in a quarrel over a dog. He is later arrested at Kirby Station waiting for a train to Tulip (twenty miles to the west).
The Gus Dalton Store on West 8th Street is raided by the police. They find illegal alcohol sales.
John Allen is killed by Charles Houston and Roy Adams, in a drunken brawl at Allen's home on west 11th Street.
- The band stand and swimming pool are dedicated at the Third Street Park