|Years:||1919 1920 1921 – 1922 – 1923 1924 1925|
Significant events from 1922.
- R. M. Foster sells the Bloomington Hardware Store, on the south side of The Square, to Ernest Prince, John Belcher, and Floyd Belcher.
The old St. Charles Borromeo Church on West 4th Street is sold to Henry S. Steele, together with the rectory and a cottage adjacent, for $8,500. The deed contains a clause providing that the church is to be torn down within two years.
The McDoel Tabernacle on South Rogers Street is completed.
July 27: Persons unknown set off dynamite under a Pullman sleeper parked at the McDoel Switch Yard. Several men sleeping in the car are uninjured. Monon Railroad workers, on strike at the time, were probably responsible, as the men in the car were working in the railroad as strikebreakers.
The Brissenden Block, at the corner of 6th Street and Morton Street, is sold to showman Harry Howard for $30,000. The building was occupied by the Home Bakery Co., the Everett Sparks Vulcanizing Company and the Peggy May Restaurant, with apartments on the second floor.
July 30: A heavy storm moves through Bedford, and lightning strikes the Salem Stone Mill belonging to the Indiana Quarries Company. The resulting fire causes more than $400,000 in damages to the mill and the nearby storerooms of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway.
H. B. Gentry buys the Dressell Building, a two-story brick building opposite the Monon passenger depot, for $11,000 from Thomas J. Sare. Records also show that Gentry purchased the Dunn Building, the former location of the Dunn Grocery, but it is not clear if they are the same building. The Dunn Building was at the corner of Kirkwood Avenue and Morton Street.
The Bloomington Furniture Company opens its doors in the Crescent Theatre building at 221 N. College Avenue.
James H. Steinmetz reopens his tailor shop in its new location in the new Louden Building on South College Avenue.
The Bedford Steel & Construction Company began work on the Von Lee theater.
Samuel Wylie sells his interest in the Burns & Wylie Grocery to John G. Jackson. The new firm is known as the Burns & Jackson Grocery and Meat Market.
The cornerstone of the Sixth Street A. M. E. Church is taken up. Erected by Asher Labertew in 1846, it was hoped that the cornerstone would hold old records of the building, but it was not to be. The building had originally been a Universalist church, then later Presbyterian. They held it until the Walnut Street Presbyterian Church was erected where the Knights of Pythias and Red Men building later was. The Presbyterians sold it to the Sixth Street A. M. E. congregation, and they eventually erected a new stone edifice at the corner of 7th Street and Rogers Street. A large, round-shaped stone was buried in the ground at the southwest corner of the old building on 6th Street and, upon this was inscribed the lettering, "In Which Faith We Have An Anchor for the Soul-1846".
The Bloomington City Council puts a ban on lawn-watering after it is reported that the reserve supply at Leonard's Dam has gone down eleven feet.
Henry T. Simmons dies.
- M. D. Wells, owner of the Wells Café on Kirkwood Avenue, buys the Indiana Lunch.
- A coal mine is opened near the Thrasher School about ten miles southwest of Bloomington. The coal varied from three to five feet in thickness and lay about 75 feet below surface at its deepest point. It was owned by a Mr. Risher.
- The Monroe County Horse Thief Association is incorporated. Incorporators are Leon E. Whetsell, Q. Austin East, John L. Hetherington, Ellis East, Claude Rankin, Hugh Hinkle, Ray Hinkle, S. P. Cardwell, F. W. Rumple, and C. E. Edmondson.