Need help editing articles? Start out with the new Introduction to Editing Articles Video.
|Years:||2003 2004 2005 – 2006 – 2007 2008 2009|
Significant events from 2006. For a more detailed list of events, click on the individual month.
- Dats becomes a local spinoff of the Yats chain of restaurants
- 8th - Japonais opens for business
- 13th - Bloomingpedia temporarily blocks IU traffic on February 13th, 2006
- 19th - Janko's Little Zagreb owner and founder, John S. Pouch, is found dead at his house by firefighters who were responding to a fire at his home in Spencer.
- 19th - First televised IU Men's Basketball away game shown on Assembly Hall's new video screen.
- 25th - The IUCC Free Software Party was held
- 18th - IU Men's Basketball loses to Gonzaga 90-80 in the second round of the NCAA championships. This is coach Mike Davis' last game as head coach for the Hoosiers
- 18th - Faris Market closes doors for good
- 28th - In a press conference at 4pm, Kelvin Sampson is announced as the new IU Men's Basketball head coach.
- 2nd at 02:00 Indiana will be observing daylight savings time, set your clocks ahead one hour
- 13th - the downtown Hilton Garden Inn opens for business
- 15th - First Annual Bloomington Renaissance Faire is held in Dunn Meadow from 11am-6pm
- 21st - Eleanor Long dies
- Saturday the 17th - Arts Fair on the Square
- Saturday the 17th - The Taste of Bloomington
- Wednesday the 28th - IU's Big Red (Supercomputer) ranks as the 23rd most powerful supercomputer on the Top500 List
- 4th - 4th of July Parade in downtown Bloomington
- 5th - Encore Cafe announces that it intends to close as a cafe and start business as a grocery store
- Ponderosa Steakhouse closes
- Demolition begins on the Von Lee
- 1st - HoosierNet, Inc. closes due to competition from for-profit ISPs
- 9th - First annual IU Mini Marathon race
- 7th - Scott and Jill Staten are thrown from their motorcycle and killed on SR 46 in Ellettsville.
- 27th - Leonard Slatkin joins the faculty of the Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University
- 28th - FBI raid of Christopher Soghoian's apartment
- 29th - 2am - Daylight Saving Time ends. The clocks roll back 1 hour.
- 31st - Dennis James plays the pipe organ at the Indiana University Auditorium in accompaniment to the 1925 Phantom of the Opera
- 4th - IU Computer Gaming Club's LAN War XI in the Briscoe Quadrangle south dining hall
- 5th - IU Computer Gaming Club's LAN War XI in the Briscoe Quadrangle south dining hall
- 10th - Ladyman's Cafe is slated to close after 49 years in business
- 23rd - The Nomad Buffet, a Tibetan barbecue and buffet style restaurant, opens